OMG! CreBS has been featured at top-notch Ubuntu news website OMG! Ubuntu!, hailed as “the ultimate wallpaper slideshow application”.
OMG!* CreBS, my little tool for creating background slideshows in GNOME desktops, has been featured at top-notch Ubuntu news website OMG! Ubuntu!, hailed as
the ultimate wallpaper slideshow application. And the reactions it’s had, both there, and at other sites that have picked up on it, have been really encouraging. So to Joey, and all the others with kind words, I’d like to say a big
Following one suggestion, I’m now going to work on packaging CreBS up into my PPA, and I’ll look into RPM packaging too, since not everyone using GNOME uses the Debian packaging system.
Of course, I also received a fair share of criticism, mostly about the interface. Particularly where it was specific, this has also been a good thing, as it helps me to prioritise future development; until now, the focus had been on making sure it actually worked.
So my list of improvements now consists of:
- Tidying up the UI
- Coping when backgrounds.xml isn’t present
- Using Nautilus’ thumbnails for images, where possible, for speed
- Adding an advisory note that long transitions aren’t handled well by GNOME
- Adding an advisory note that large images may cause problems
- Allowing images to be added (and maybe removed) by drag-and-drop
- Being able to import and edit saved slideshows
- Adding a warning when trying to save with the same filename
- And probably a couple of other things that I’ve forgotten
That should keep me busy for a while.
* I don’t actually have a G—it’s a shame there weren’t more atheists around when netspeak was being codified.